Lunch In Sana'a

Even though this blog isn't about me - and even though I was only there over a weekend - I have my own memories of Yemen, and I'll share them occasionally.  And although you probably came here via Twitter, there's a chance that you didn't, so I'll give you my Twitter handle: @scuddertravel


"Here are a couple pictures that I snapped on my very brief visit to Sana'a several years ago.  I was wandering around the Old City (and when you're talking about Yemen Old City really means OLD CITY) of Sana'a and it was time for lunch.  It was Friday afternoon and the city was just starting to get busy after the Jumu'ah prayer. As I walked past a little restaurant on a square two gentlemen told me me that their place was the best and that's all the convincing I needed.  I've spent a couple years over seas and I can't imagine I ever had a meal that I enjoyed more or that I remember more fondly."


The nice gentlemen who ran the restaurant.  They didn't speak much English, and I spoke much less Arabic, but we got along just fine.  One of them disappeared for a while to go track me down a Coke.  I'd love to know how far we went in search of one.  Typical Yemenis, they couldn't have been more friendly.

The view looking out the window from the second floor of the restaurant.  In the space of a few minutes it grew very busy.

I'm very hesitant to share my own stories because I'm much more interested in stories and pictures from Yemenis themselves, but I couldn't help myself.  Inshallah peace will return to Yemen; I'd love to come back for another meal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kindness

The Other Side of Yemen

Barran Temple